Home / World News / Woman’s horror injuries from hot water bottle spark consultants’ warning

Woman’s horror injuries from hot water bottle spark consultants’ warning

A young woman has recalled the horror injuries she sustained from a hot water bottle accident that caused severe burns.

Rhiannon Coleman-Heard, 26, suffered the injuries when the boiling water from the bottle spilt all over one of her arms as she was filling it up.

What resulted was burns so severe she’s had to visit a doctor every week since.

“When I came into the emergency department, [my arm] was just completely blistered,” she told 7 News.

“Then they had to deroof it, so taking off all the skin.”

Ms Coleman-Heard said she now wants to inform others about the dangers before they reach for the hot water bottle this winter.

“I also didn’t think boiling water or water from a hot water bottle could cause such damage,” she said.

The 26-year-old received burns from a water bottle.
Camera IconThe 26-year-old received serious burns from a water bottle. Photo: 7 News Credit: Supplied

Product Safety Australia has also warned Aussies how to avoid injuries from hot water bottles.

At the top of their list is to check the use-by-date as expired hot water bottles can split and leak more easily.

Overfilling is seen as another hazard as is sleeping with a hot water bottle as it could be rolled onto and burst.

About brandsauthority

Check Also

Consumer stress levels rise as cost of living bites and retail sales slide

Four in 10 Australians have started cutting back on small treats and indulgences like buying …

%d bloggers like this: