Shane Warne’s daughters have spoken out against plans to dramatise their father’s life in a two-part miniseries, calling the Nine Network “beyond disrespectful”.
In a story posted to Instagram on Wednesday, Brooke Warne, 25, targeted the network, saying: “Do any of you have any respect for Dad? Or his family Who did so much for Channel (Nine) and now you want to dramatise his life and our families (sic) life 6 months after he has passed away? You are beyond disrespectful.”
Warne’s other daughter Summer, 20, also criticised the series on Thursday, describing Channel Nine’s plans as “disappointing”.
“Only six months after his passing and your (sic) already trying to make money off of this?” she said in an Instagram story.
“Can you just let my dad rest in peace, since his (sic) not here to defend himself.”
The Nine Network says the miniseries, called Warnie, will screen over two nights in 2023.
It has described the show as a fitting tribute to one of the greatest Australians of all time and its must-see drama event of next year.
Casting details are yet to be announced. Screentime will produce the miniseries for the Nine Network in association with VicScreen.
The comments followed what would have been Warne’s 53rd birthday on Tuesday.
Brooke Warne shared on Instagram: “Today will always be Your day,” while Summer said she would do anything to see his big smile one last time.
“Thank you for the 20 years of memories we shared together. I will cherish them always,” she posted on Instagram.
Warne’s longtime manager James Erskine has previously spoken out against plans to dramatise the cricketer’s life, telling News Corp this year he would write to chairman Peter Costello about the matter.
The former cricketer died on the Thai resort island of Koh Samui on March 4, with a televised state memorial held at the MCG in April.
He is survived by his daughters Brooke and Summer and their brother Jackson.