A returned international traveller in his 50s has been diagnosed with coronavirus, taking WA’s total number of active cases to nine.
All of the cases are currently in hotel quarantine.
The new patient boosts WA’s overall number of cases to 653, of which nine people have died of the disease and 635 have now recovered.
In a promising sign the Victorian second wave is finally being brought to heel, with the number of new cases reported today plummeting to 116, the lowest daily tally increase in six weeks dating back to July 5.
However, another 15 people died of the virus in Victoria — all aged care residents — lifting the state’s death toll to 430.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews also announced plans to extend the Victorian state of emergency declaration, due to expire on September 13, for another 12 months.
That will pave the way for the Victorian Government to keep some form of coronavirus restrictions in place for the next year, although Mr Andrews said no decision on prolonging the current lockdown had been reached at this stage.
Queenslanders living in Brisbane are now being urged to wear face masks in public after the State recorded one new coronavirus case overnight, the tenth diagnosis linked to an outbreak at a youth detention centre.
That State’s chief health officer Jeannette Young said it was “time to use a mask” as health officials scramble to prevent the cluster spreading throughout Brisbane.
“I’m not going to mandate it because I don’t believe we have broad spread community transmission, but certainly we’re in a risky period at this time,” she said.
New South Wales recorded three new cases, two in hotel quarantine and one in the community.