Home / World News / WA offers $1m reward to find bikie killer

WA offers $1m reward to find bikie killer

Western Australia’s government is offering a reward of up to $1 million for information on the public slaying of senior Rebels bikie Nick Martin.

Martin was shot dead by an apparent sniper while attending a drag racing event at Perth Motorplex in Kwinana Beach on Saturday evening.

The 51-year-old received a single gunshot wound to his torso.

Police Minister Michelle Roberts on Tuesday announced the offer of up to $1 million for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Martin’s assailant.

The government is also prepared to consider offering immunity from prosecution to informants as long as they were not directly responsible for the killing.

“It’s an unprecedented reward for a crime of this nature but we don’t want somebody who has killed, as they have on this occasion, out there in the community,” Ms Roberts told reporters.

“We want them behind bars.”

Fellow Rebels bikie Ricky Chapman, 31, was also wounded and underwent surgery on Monday. He is yet to speak to police.

A bullet fragment recovered from his body is likely to assist the investigation and has been sent to ballistics experts for analysis.

“I’m hoping it will lead us to a lot further clues than what we have at the moment,” WA Police Assistant Commissioner Brad Royce said.

An unrelated five-year-old boy sitting on the lap of Martin’s wife was grazed by a bullet fragment but did not require medical treatment.

Police on Tuesday scoured bush on the venue’s perimeter as they investigate the working theory that Martin was shot at long-range.

Detectives will work with forensics experts to try to determine where the shooter was located.

While it is considered too early in the investigation to identify any potential suspects, police have received tips from the public.

“We’ve had a significant number of reports through CrimeStoppers – a fantastic response from the community and probably those closer to some of the people involved,” Mr Royce said.

The brazen public slaying has sparked fears of a gang war and prompted WA Police to launch Operation Ravello, a taskforce comprising more than 100 officers including gang squad and homicide detectives.

Detectives conducted further raids overnight, including at the Rebels’ Bibra Lake clubhouse, after searching the Mongols and Hells Angels premises over the weekend.

Martin’s widow Amanda told The West Australian she believed her husband’s killing was carefully planned, with the sound of engines drowning out the gun shot – which detectives told her had come from about 300 metres away.

She described her husband as a “loving family man” who had enemies but none that would have a reason to kill him.

Police believe Martin had recently come under pressure from within his own organisation.

He had previously been the Rebels’ WA president but detectives are uncertain whether he retained that role at the time of his death.

He was facing charges over financial misconduct and had been bashed by a Hells Angels bikie weeks earlier.

Martin was shot in the arm in March 2011 as he arrived at his Balcatta home on his Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

A Rock Machine bikie gang member was sentenced in 2012 to more than six years in prison over the shooting.

About brandsauthority

Check Also

Grants fall short for wider financial system, report

While stimulating the construction sector and creating jobs in that industry, federal and state government …

%d bloggers like this: