Mitchell Ogg got more than he bargained for when he pulled one of his cray pots on Friday.
Unbeknown to him and his brother who were hunting WA’s most sought-after seafood off Garden Island, a small but deadly blue-ringed octopus fell out of a pot and onto the deck of the boat.
Not wearing any shoes, he got “whacked” by the lethal creature when he inadvertently stood on it while walking around.
“Didn’t see it fall into the boat after pulling a pot, later stung my on my barefoot (I know should have had my boots on),” he posted on Facebook. “Lucky my brother called triple zero and got me to Garden Island where they got me to hospital.”
He explained the sting felt “like a bee sting” just above his toes and then his “body went into tingles” with “pins and needles and numbness all over”.
He also said he was “very lucky” and the “doc reckons most don’t make it to him breathing”.
The keen crayfisherman’s brother was given “excellent advice” over the phone once it became clear the danger his sibling was in.
“As soon as my brother was bitten I called 000 who provided first aid advice… they notified the emergency services and I headed straight for Garden Island as I knew our amazing military services would render assistance till the ambulance could.”
It was the second reported encounter in WA with the lethal octopus in a week.
Last weekend, a Perth girl was lucky not to have been bitten when a blue-ringed octopus emerged from a collection of shells she had brought home from Coogee Beach.
The girl’s aunt was cleaning the shells when the lethal critter came out of the shell.
Luckily, no-one was bitten.
Blue-ringed octopus generally range from about six to 10 centimetres long. They usually only display their iridescent blue markings when they feel threatened or are about to strike.
Mr Ogg praised those who helped him.
“I was in great hands and can’t thank the blokes and ladies who helped me, especially my brother. Lucky enough to be fine after the day in hospital, just feeling crook.”
Mr Ogg urged other boaties to be extra vigilant as the cray season gets into full swing.
“Just a quick one to say stay vigilant, wear boots and as much gear to protect you as you can, gloves and look after your mates.”
Staff on HMAS Stirling responded to the emergency call that a fisherman had been bitten. The medics were first on the scene and waded out to the boat to provide help before he was transferred by ambulance.
“You guys are amazing. Thanks heaps for today. I’m alive and well,” Mr Ogg wrote on social media.