Mystery surrounds the death of an Australian man on a Bali beach after his family refused to allow an autopsy.
But police say the investigation is ongoing and there are signs of abrasions, bruises and a base skull fracture caused by blunt trauma.
The lifeless body of former Perth man Taras Mulik was found on a Bali beach on January 11.
While police have not ruled out foul play they say the cause of death has not been identified. The 50-year-old had been living in Bali, had a young family and was well known in the community where his body was found.
Police had requested an autopsy but it cannot be carried out without the family’s permission.
His body meanwhile remains at the Sanglah hospital morgue.
Denpasar police spokesman Ketut Sukadi told AAP the family had rejected the police request for an autopsy.
A medical report says the victim had suffered a series of abrasions to his face, head, chest and arms.
It says there are abrasions, bruises and signs of a base skull fracture caused by blunt violence. There were also signs of submersion in water.
“The cause of the death cannot be found as the autopsy was not conducted,” a report from the Sanglah morgue forensic team states.
Mr Mulik’s body was found about 8.30am, facedown on Suluban beach.
One witness has told police that he last saw Mr Mulik about 9pm the previous evening in front of the villa he shared with his girlfriend.
It is understood that Mr Mulik’s girlfriend has told police she last saw him about 8pm the night before. Later, at 11pm, she woke and found he was not at the villa. Then, when she woke about 9am the next day, Mr Mulik was also not home.
She went searching for him at the beach with no luck and later learned his body had been found.