Casper Ware will return to the NBL next season in an attempt to complete unfinished business with the Sydney Kings.
The 30-year-old point guard was one of five high-profile players to opt out of their contracts in May when the NBL announced major salary cuts.
But he has followed Kings teammate Xavier Cooks and Perth’s Bryce Cotton in announcing a return to Australia for the 2020-21 season, which is scheduled to begin on December 3.
The Kings, who pulled out of last season’s grand final series as the COVID-19 threat escalated, will be chasing their first championship since 2005.
“I’m really happy to be returning to the Sydney Kings,” Ware said.
“Last year felt like home to me with the relationships I made here, and you usually don’t get a second opportunity at these things.
“I’ve been talking to Brucey (Shaun Bruce) and some of our other guys, and our biggest focus is let’s finish this job that we started last year.
“I felt like I owed a little something to Sydney and I wasn’t done yet, so I want to get back and give them my all to try and get us that championship.”
Ware – a three-time All-NBL First Team member and 2018 NBL champion with Melbourne United – led Sydney to the minor premiership last year and guided them into their first grand final series since 2008.
He averaged 18 points and four assists in 30 minutes per game for the Kings.
“Casper was one of the first people to show his excitement for what we’re building here in Sydney before many others,” Kings coach Will Weaver said.
“I think his return is made more special by him deciding that this is where he wants to play, even after hearing from the many other teams around the world that would love to have a winner like him.”
Ware joins Brad Newley, Craig Moller, Angus Glover, Dejan Vasiljevic, Jordan Hunter, Didi Louzada, Cooks and Bruce on the Sydney roster for the upcoming NBL season.