A 56-year-old surfer died in Maui, Hawaii, on Wednesday night, one day after a shark had attacked him.
The victim, who lived in the Lahaina section of Maui, was taken to Maui Memorial Medical Center after being treated at the scene. The authorities would not give his name or release details about his injuries. He was reported to be in critical, but stable, condition after an initial round of surgery on Tuesday.
It was unclear what kind of shark had been involved and if other people had been in the water at the time of the attack.
The attack occurred before the day’s contests at the World Surf League’s Women’s Professional Surfing Competition, also known as Maui Pro. The competition was put on hold after the attack. The organization will hold it in a different location.
“We are working on options to complete the Maui Pro presented by ROXY event at an alternate location in Hawaii and will update everyone soon,” the company said on its website.
The local authorities responded to a similar episode last month, when a woman was bitten by what might have been a shark on Thanksgiving Day. CNN reported that the unnamed woman had been visiting from California, and the Maui County Fire Department said she had sustained “severe trauma” from the bite.
State officials erected shark warning signs at Honolua Bay after the 56-year-old man was attacked on Tuesday.
“The Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources extends its deepest condolences to the family and friends of the man killed in the shark attack on Maui this week,” the department, which set up the warning signs, said in a statement. The department manages public lands like state parks and beaches.