A mystery IT bug has ripped off almost 80,000 Sydney commutators with incorrect road toll charges over the weekend in what has been labelled a “massive stuff up”.
This is the second time the “glitch” involving the NSW government has affected motorists, with more than 45,000 drivers coping double charges just last week.
Roads Minister Natalie Ward admitted to Ben Fordhan on 2GB that some second-hand vehicle owners had been charged for trips made by previous drivers.
Ms Ward said she was “furious” about the mistake that had affected more than 120,000 E-Toll accounts.
“I’ve made it absolutely abundantly clear to the head of transport that I want that (IT) contract looked into. This cannot continue to happen.” she said.
Authorities believe the mistake was made due to an IT upgrade.
A truck driver who alleges he was slugged more than $50,000 over the past week hit back at Ms Ward’s comments about the government “working together” with those affected in a live radio interview on 2GB Radio on Monday morning.
“They (the government) are not working closely at all with me. It’s a complete lie. If they want to work with me, tell them to put $57,000 back into my bank account,” he said.
“I‘m not working with Transport NSW until they refund the money that has been stolen out of my business bank account.”
Ms Ward alleged the outstanding toll charges on the man’s account were just under $10,000.
A review is now under way.