Home / World News / Star top brass to continue casino evidence

Star top brass to continue casino evidence

A Star Entertainment boss will continue his testimony at a royal commission style inquiry examining if The Star Sydney should retain its casino licence.

The NSW gaming regulator inquiry into the fitness of Star to hold a Sydney casino licence has so far prompted the resignation of Star CEO Matt Bekier, who stepped down last month in the wake of evidence given at the probe.

Star’s chief casino officer for NSW, Greg Hawkins, is set to resume his evidence on Wednesday as the high-profile probe works its way up the company’s hierarchy.

The inquiry was sparked by reports accusing Star of enabling suspected money laundering, organised crime, fraud and foreign interference at its gaming facilities.

Mr Hawkins, a former managing director at the Sydney casino, has so far told the inquiry that for a time he oversaw operations at the venue.

Mr Hawkins was kept updated about high value patrons of The Star Sydney including high rollers Phillip Dong Fang Lee and Michael Gu, the inquiry was told.

Mr Hawkins has had a “lengthy career” in the casino industry including working in Macau for several years while employed by Crown Resorts, it was told.

Other Star top brass set to testify this week are Harry Theodore and Mr Bekier, and McGrath Nicol partner Robyn McKern.

About brandsauthority

Check Also

‘Traumatic experience’: Footballer suffers heart attack during off-the-ball fight

Police are investigating a “traumatic experience” after a Tasmanian footballer suffered a heart attack during …

%d bloggers like this: