SNAPSHOT OF THE A-LEAGUE MEN GRAND FINAL
* RESULT: Western United beat Melbourne City 2-0 at AAMI Park.
* THE STORY: Melbourne City were aiming to become the first team to complete back-to-back ALM premiership-championship doubles while United were eyeing their first championship in their first season under John Aloisi. United took the lead in the second minute when Nuno Reis headed into his own net and added a second via Aleksandar Prijovic in the 30th.
* THE MOMENT: United snatched their second goal and put a dagger through City’s heart on the half-hour mark. Connor Pain’s shot was blocked by Reis and the ball rebounded off Pain’s face, took a touch off Connor Metcalfe and skidded into the path of Prijovic, who coolly finished. The goal was originally chalked off but after a quick review with VAR Kris Griffiths-Jones, referee Chris Beath awarded it.
* THE STAR: Prijovic backed up his stunning semi-final performance with a grand final to remember, claiming the Joe Marston Medal. Prijovic’s aerial pressure forced Reis’ own goal while the striker got in the right place at the right time for United’s second and was a focal point all night.
* THE QUOTE: “I love youse all, you bunch of absolute f***ing legends” – United stand-in skipper Josh Risdon addressing his United teammates on the podium.
* THE STAT: United kept their 12th clean sheet of the season, a league-high, with Leo Lacroix and Tomoki Imai blanketing golden boot winner Jamie Maclaren.
* TALKING POINT
City defender Carl Jenkinson was arguably lucky not to see red just before halftime. He squared up to Pain in the 44th minute and appeared to headbutt the United winger but didn’t face any on-field consequences. He was substituted at halftime.