South Australian Premier Steven Marshall hopes to speak with his West Australian counterpart in a bid to have COVID-19 travel restrictions eased before Christmas.
Western Australia this week moved to lift travel rules for people coming from NSW and Victoria after declaring those states “very low risk”.
From Friday, SA travellers will no longer require exemptions to enter WA, although they will still need to enter self-quarantine.
Mr Marshall said he would seek to speak with WA Premier Mark McGowan in Canberra on Thursday, ahead of the national cabinet meeting on Friday, and would point out how well SA had contained its recent cluster of coronavirus cases.
“I will see Mark McGowan in Canberra tomorrow night and I will certainly be asking the premier to consider the excellent results that we have here in South Australia,” he said.
“There are many people in our state who have friends, they’ve got family, they’ve got loved ones in Western Australia and they would love to see them.
“It’s now time for Western Australia to again consider lifting those restrictions in time for Christmas.”
SA reported no new infections for the 11th day in a row on Wednesday, leaving the so-called Parafield cluster at 33.
But the state currently has no active infections.
A number of states imposed travel restrictions on South Australia when the cluster first emerged, but those have largely been removed or soon will be.
From next week, SA will also ease a range of local restrictions it imposed last month, which will include allowing up to 50 people at household gatherings, including Christmas celebrations.
Patrons in pubs and restaurants will also be allowed to consume drinks while standing up while the size of funerals and weddings will rise to 200.
The capacity in entertainment venues, such as theatres of cinemas, will increase from 50 per cent to 75 per cent, provided people are wearing face masks.