Home / World News / SA Labor calls for lifetime ban on carer

SA Labor calls for lifetime ban on carer

The South Australian opposition has written to the state and federal governments calling for a lifetime ban on the carer charged with the manslaughter of disabled Adelaide woman Ann Marie Smith.

Rosa Maria Maione was last week banned from working with disabled people for five years and from providing disability support and services, directly or indirectly to National Disability Insurance Scheme participants.

The NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission said the ban would allow for adequate time for the criminal proceedings to be completed and would be reviewed at that time.

But Opposition human services spokeswoman Nat Cook said the governments should intervene now to ban Maione for life.

“Nothing short of a permanent ban is acceptable in the eyes of the community,” Ms Cook said on Tuesday.

“The quality and safeguards commission must review this decision and send a strong message that the treatment Ann Marie Smith received will not be tolerated.”

Ms Smith, who had cerebral palsy, died in hospital in April from septic shock, multiple organ failure, severe pressure sores and malnourishment while under the care of the NDIS.

Police allege the 54-year-old died of serious criminal neglect and her death was preventable.

Maione will return to court in April next year when prosecutors will make a final charge determination, with the Director of Public Prosecutions given until February to prepare the initial brief of evidence.

She was granted home detention bail in September with a condition of her release that she not seek to work as a carer.

About brandsauthority

Check Also

Rage Sets a Couple on a Collision Course. Who Will Absorb the Impact?

The story of the couple’s drift and, ultimately, their rift comes to us by way …

%d bloggers like this: