Home / World News / Russia confirms missile cruiser casualties

Russia confirms missile cruiser casualties

Russia’s defence ministry has confirmed for the first time that the crew of the missile cruiser Moskva suffered casualties when it blew up and sank last week, a report from RIA news agency indicates.

Russia initially said all the ship’s crew were removed after an ammunition blast triggered by a fire ripped through the Moskva, the flagship of its Black Sea fleet.

“Attempts by the crew to extinguish the fire were not successful,” RIA quoted the defence ministry as saying.

“During the struggle to stabilise the ship, one serviceman died and another 27 crew members went missing. The remaining 396 members of the crew were evacuated.”

Ukraine says it hit the vessel with an anti-ship missile.

Last Saturday, the defence ministry released footage of what it said was the head of the navy meeting with about 100 Moskva crew members.

About brandsauthority

Check Also

Minamino to decide future after ECL final

Japan international Takumi Minamino will wait until after Liverpool’s clash with Real Madrid in the …

%d bloggers like this: