Home / World News / Rockingham foreshore New Years fireworks cancelled

Rockingham foreshore New Years fireworks cancelled

The announcement that phase five of COVID-19 restrictions will be extended, means the annual Rockingham New Year’s Eve fireworks has been cancelled for 2020/2021.

The WA Government announced earlier this month that the next stage of restrictions, which were set to end on October 24, would be delayed. There is no new date for when the next phase will start.

Rockingham Mayor Barry Sammels said the City was very disappointed it could not host the foreshore fireworks.

“With the current restrictions in place, it is just not possible for us to deliver this event,” Cr Sammels said.

“While it is unfortunate we won’t be able to ring in the New Year with a community gathering at the Rockingham Beach Foreshore, we are still committed to hosting a range of other events over the summer in line with COVID-19 safety requirements.”

Existing phase-four physical-distancing restrictions make hosting large events difficult, with the City of Mandurah also likely to cancel its New Year’s fireworks.

The City is still set to host its Christmas Festival on Saturday, December 5 and still plans on going ahead with Australia Day.

The City will submit an application to the Department of Health for Australia Day.Smaller community events, as part of Rockingham’s Summer Series, will continue, with plans for major events including Romance on the Green, Performance in the Park and the International Food Festival still in the works for next year.

For more information on Rockingham events visit the City’s website.

About brandsauthority

Check Also

A New Political Force Emerges in Georgia: Asian-American Voters

Many new voters were drawn to the presidential race because it had loomed so large …

%d bloggers like this: