Recovery efforts are underway after a major grassfire swept through South Australia’s southeast, destroying several homes, along with fencing and livestock.
A police investigation into the blaze, which threatened the town of Lucindale on Monday, has tracked the source to a paddock near the south-eastern end of the Mt Scott Conservation Park.
It found that while the cause of the 14,000-hectare fire was undetermined, it was not suspicious.
The Country Fire Service says the blaze is contained with about 100 firefighters continuing to mop up hotspots and strengthen containment lines.
A bushfire advice message remains in place and there are some concerns for strengthening winds across the region on Wednesday.
Phone services have been restored to the area while about 2300 properties remain without electricity.
SA Power Networks crews are working to repair damaged infrastructure while primary industries officials have also begun working with local farmers.
Spokesman Mehdi Doroudi said contact was being made with about 70 property owners who had stock registered with the department.
He said confirmed losses so far were more than 6000 sheep and 11 cattle, but that number would increase in the coming days.
“Currently we have two crews already active on the ground with another two being activated tomorrow to assist producers to assess burnt livestock,” he said.
“Given this is still an active fire ground with the fire, it will take some time for us to obtain a full picture of the agricultural impacts.”
The local Naracoorte Lucindale and Kingston District councils said they were working together to understand the full extent of the damage.
“We know first-hand the challenges that lie ahead through the long and arduous recovery efforts that continue with our community, and are committed to a joint recovery process,” Kingston Mayor Kay Rasheed said.