Scott Morrison is under renewed pressure to launch an independent inquiry into a decades-old rape allegation against Christian Porter, which he denies.
Labor wants an independent investigation while the Australian Greens want an independent commission of inquiry into the claims made by a woman who is deceased.
Both parties also want any inquiry to look at whether Mr Porter is a fit and proper person to be a minister.
It comes after Mr Porter announced on Monday he could not proceed with his defamation action against the ABC, which first reported the claim dating back to 1988.
The former attorney-general, who took mental health leave earlier this year after outing himself as the person referred to in the story, now serves as industry minister.
Deputy Opposition Leader Richard Marles said there was a need for an independent inquiry now Mr Porter had dropped the legal action against the broadcaster and reporter Louise Milligan.
“The government were touting this as the means by which there would be some form of independent inquiry,” Mr Marles told Sky News on Tuesday.
“There are very serious allegations. There is a cloud there which should be resolved for everyone concerned, not least for Christian Porter himself.”
Finance Minister Simon Birmingham responded that NSW Police had already investigated. The woman had declined to be interview by police.
The broadcaster will pay the cost of mediation during the case, but no damages will be paid.
“They have been forced by my taking this action all the way to the court door, they have been forced to say they regret the article,” Mr Porter said on Monday.
The ABC on Monday said it stood by and did not regret its reporting. The story remains on its website, with an editor’s note attached.