Workers at a CBH Group bulk handling facility in Geraldton were evacuated today following a false alarm at the port building.
A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesperson said a triple zero call was made at 1.06pm this afternoon reporting smoke leaving the facility on Marine Terrace.
Crews from the Geraldton Fire and Rescue Service were deployed to the incident and determined the cause to be an equipment malfunction.
“Crews left the scene at 2.08pm after determining the alarm was due to a faulty electrical piece of equipment,” the spokesperson said.
A spokesperson for the Mid West Ports Authority said there was no active fire on site and no personnel were injured in the evacuation.
“A port user was undertaking a clean up job around a fire suppression system,” the spokesperson said. The dust created as a result of this clean up triggered a fire alarm, which triggered the suppression system.”
“Mid West Port Authority extends thanks to the quick response by the Department.”