Veteran Polish defender Maciej Rybus will not be considered for selection at this year’s World Cup after leaving his Russian club for another.
While most foreign players have left Russia following the country’s invasion of Ukraine, 32-year-old left back Rybus joined Spartak Moscow this month after a five-year spell with local rivals Lokomotiv.
The Polish FA (PZPN) said on Monday he would not longer be picked. Rybus had won 66 caps.
Poland is a staunch ally of Kyiv and has been one of Ukraine’s biggest financial supporters since the February invasion.
“The coach of the Polish national team, Czeslaw Michniewicz, talked to Maciej Rybus, who was currently staying in Poland, after the training camp of the national team ended last week,” PZPN said in a statement on Monday.
“The coach informed the player that due to his current club situation, he would not be called up for the September training camp of the national team and would not be considered for the team that would go to the World Cup in Qatar.”