The prime minister denies he is delaying an announcement of extra financial support for flood victims until he returns from a trip to Perth.
He flagged further support measures would be announced on Thursday afternoon after the federal government received the request from NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet.
Mr Morrison says the government has already provided support payments worth more than $1 billion to one million people in Queensland and NSW.
“When you’re talking about the investments of hundreds of millions of dollars – and indeed billions now – then I think people would expect this to go through the proper assessment of the proposals which we did yesterday,” Mr Morrison told reporters in Perth.
Earlier on Thursday, Social Services Minister Anne Ruston announced the government would provide an additional $9 million to 83 emergency relief and food relief services supporting flood victims in northern NSW and Queensland.
The funding will help local services provide food, grocery vouchers, clothes, household items and petrol for people who have been impacted by the floods.
But state Nationals MP Geoff Provest says he is “disgusted” with the way the prime minister has handled the flood crisis.
The member for Tweed – a northern NSW region devastated by flooding – says the federal government is out of touch and has failed to listen to the needs of his community.
“We’re sick and tired of words, we want some real action,” he told ABC radio on Thursday.
“I can put it no other way that (the government has) lost the faith of the people … Whether I’m down in a caravan park or one of the little villages, there’s real venom out there directed at the prime minister.”