A Perth family are warning other parents of the simple dangers in every household after their toddler was left with a fractured skull, leaking brain fluid and a damaged eardrum after he fell off the edge of a couch.
Theodore Bowkett fractured his skull when he fell off the arm-rest of a couch at his Brabam home and smacked the side of his head.
As a result, the two-year-old had to have his damaged right eardrum removed, leaving him deaf in one ear.
Theodore spent ten days lying in a hospital bed, his head tightly bandaged as it leaked brain fluid “like a tap,” according to his father, Heath.
“A simple fall can change your life completely.
“If you’re worried that something’s wrong with your child – go to ED (Emergency Department),” he said.
His family wanted to share his ordeal as a warning to other parents of the simple dangers in every household, as the couch arm he fell off was less than half a metre high.
Theodore’s mother Kathlenne Bowkett said the cry her son let out terrified her.
“Something I never want to hear again,” she said.
“The blood was coming from his right ear… he started vomiting everywhere.”
“Keep an eye on them,” she said. “If something’s up don’t be scared to take them and get them checked out.”
Being deaf could potentially affect Theodore’s ability to talk and it’s likely he’ll have to undergo speech therapy. His parents were also told they may have to learn sign language.
According to Paediatrician Dr Mohammad Jehangir, a fall can be much more dangerous for young children as their developing bones are a little softer and they can lack basic reflexes.
There are red flags for parents to look out for, especially in the first 4 to 6 hours after hitting their head.
“Vomiting more than once. It’s significant. If there’s swelling on the head. If your child feels unusually drowsy or sleepy,” Dr Jahangir said.
Down the track, Theodore will most likely have surgery for a cochlea implant.