A man is dead and another in hospital with gunshot wounds after an ambush in Sydney’s south.
The two men were entering a car in Hurstville around 11pm on Saturday when a number of shots were fired at them.
“What I can suggest is that this is clearly a targeted attack in which there’s been some degree of planning,” Detective Superintendent Anthony Cooke told reporters on Sunday afternoon.
It appears the men were able to drive some way from the car park where they entered the car, but then stopped on Macmahon Street.
Police found the two wounded men, 35 and 23, in the Mercedes.
Both were taken to hospital, where the older man died. The 23-year-old is in a stable condition.
The pair were known to police.
Police are calling on anyone who witnessed the incident or has dashcam footage to come forward.
Det Supt Cooke said significant resources are being directed towards “identifying those responsible, targeting them, and putting them before the courts”.
Police believe the weapon used was a handgun. At least one shooter was involved.
Det Supt Cooke added that there was no information linking the incident to a boxing match that occurred earlier in the evening in Hurstville, or to any other events.