An amusement ride connected to the death of an eight-year-old girl should not have been allowed to operate at the Royal Adelaide Show, an inquest has heard.
The inquiry into the death of Adelene Leong in 2014 heard on Friday that a safety checklist had not been provided by the operators of the Airmaxx 360 ride before the show opened that year.
The checklist was among a range of requirements for all rides.
Judith Noble, who was the project manager for the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society, which ran the show, told the inquest that it was subsequently found that the checklist had not been received.
It was not among “all relevant documentation” gathered after the incident, she said.
She agreed with a comment from coroner Ian White that it was the intent of that document that a ride not be cleared to operate in such circumstances.
Adelene had visited the show with her mother while on holiday from Malaysia.
While on the Airmaxx 360, she slipped out of restraints and was flung into the air before landing on the ground headfirst.
Counsel assisting Sally Giles previously told the inquiry that “what took place was nothing short of horrendous for everyone who witnessed it”.
“[The ride] was unsafe, and a tragedy waiting to happen,” she said.
Adelene died from multiple injuries but a rapid deceleration injury to the brain alone was enough to kill her.
Ms Giles also noted that the ride was the first of its kind to be imported into Australia in 2013, but did not undergo a required design registration process, instead using the certification for a similar ride.
The ride’s operators imposed a minimum height requirement of 120cm, despite the manufacturer recommending 140cm.
Adelene was 137cm tall at the time of her death.
The inquest was continuing.