North Queensland is on coronavirus alert as authorities investigate potential exposure sites linked to a woman who flew from Cairns to Darwin and later tested positive for COVID-19.
The 21-year-old woman, who was revealed as the source of the Northern Territory’s COVID-19 cluster, had spent time in Melbourne, where NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner said she “almost certainly” contracted the coronavirus before spending time in Adelaide and Cairns.
Queensland Health on Sunday listed six contact-tracing alerts for a Jetstar flight from Adelaide to Cairns on October 25 and sites in Cairns and Mission Beach on October 25, 27 and 29, including the Cairns Domestic Airport and Cairns Central Shopping Centre.
All are listed as casual or low-risk contacts.
The woman arrived in Darwin from Queensland on October 29. Mr Gunner said she had been fined for lying on her border entry form.
The territory’s three-person cluster sparked a three-day lockdown for the town of Katherine and restrictions for Greater Darwin.
Health officials are also looking into another COVID-19 scare in the state’s southeast, with Toowoomba Hospital “keeping visitors to a minimum” as it probes a possible exposure linked to the recent Goondiwindi cluster.
“We ask all maternity and end-of-life care visitors to please speak to your treating team prior to your arrival at the hospital,” Darling Downs Health said in a Facebook post on Sunday.
“In some instances, support people can be accommodated on compassionate grounds, in the emergency department, maternity and pediatric services.”
Four people have tested positive in Goondiwindi on the state border. They had recently visited the northern NSW town of Moree, which has been battling a COVID-19 outbreak.
Queensland reported no locally acquired virus cases on Sunday.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says Queensland is likely to have hit 80 per cent of its 16-plus population with at least their first COVID-19 vaccine dose by Tuesday.