The PGA Tour has reiterated a warning to members who choose to compete on the LIV Golf Invitational Series, saying those who do feature on the Saudi-funded breakaway circuit will be “subject to disciplinary action”.
The field for the inaugural LIV Golf event – to be held between June 9-11 at Centurion Club outside London – was revealed late on Tuesday and included longtime PGA Tour players like Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia and Lee Westwood.
The PGA Tour has already declined requests from members who had asked for releases to compete at Centurion, and while the US-based circuit did not disclose what disciplinary action could be taken, it remained firm in its stance.
“As communicated to our entire membership on May 10, PGA Tour members have not been authorised to participate in the Saudi Golf League’s London event, under PGA Tour Tournament Regulations,” the PGA Tour said in a statement on Wednesday.
“Members who violate the Tournament Regulations are subject to disciplinary action.”
While players risk potential punishment for jumping to the Greg Norman-fronted LIV Golf series, the promise of each golfer receiving a cut of lucrative purses while competing in 54-hole events with no cuts proved too compelling to pass up for some.
The first LIV Golf event – where $US25 million ($A35m) in prize money is up for grabs, including $US4m ($A5.6m) for the winner – is running at the same time as the PGA Tour’s Canadian Open where the winner will get $US1.57m ($A2.18m) from an $US8.7m ($A12.1m) purse.
LIV Golf chief executive Norman said last month during a media event at Centurion that the startup league would reimburse players who are fined and has legal injunctions ready to go if any are sanctioned or banned by the PGA Tour.
“If you so choose to want, as an independent contractor, to come and play with us, we’ve got your back,” former world No.1 Norman said last month during a media event at Centurion.
“I’ll break it down to three very simple things: we’ll defend, we’ll reimburse, and we’ll represent.”