Home / World News / MH370 debris confirms plane met violent end in Indian Ocean

MH370 debris confirms plane met violent end in Indian Ocean

New debris from MH370 found on Madagascar proves conclusively that the Boeing 777 broke apart on impact.

Wreck hunter Blaine Gibson and some relatives of those lost in the MH370 disappearance handed over five pieces of debris yesterday to Malaysian Transport Minister Anthony Loke.

The pieces had been collected over the past year.

“The debris proves two things. MH370 crashed violently and it almost certainly is in the Southern Indian Ocean,” Mr Gibson said.

Debris thought to be from MH370.Debris thought to be from MH370.
Camera IconDebris thought to be from MH370.Picture: Geoffrey Thomas

The next of kin said they want assurances from Mr Loke that the Malaysian Government would continue efforts to find a satisfactory resolution to the mystery of MH370, which disappeared on March 8, 2014 with 239 aboard.

One piece of debris found at Sandravinany, south Madagascar, has been identified using a fragment of a label still attached as part of a floor panel from a Boeing 777.

“Don Thompson, one of the Independent Group investigating MH370’s disappearance, found the actual identification label for the Boeing 777,” Mr Gibson said.

An important clue was the piece contained a portion of a placard with the identifying characters WPPS61.

According to another IG member, Victor Iannello, Mr Thompson was able to determine that the full placard number was BAC27WPPS61 and he found a similar placard on the floorboard of wreckage from MH17.

“This leaves little doubt that the piece recovered from Madagascar is from MH370,” Mr Iannello said.

The other pieces, while not identifiable as being from the missing Boeing 777, are aircraft debris.

Mr Gibson said that the five pieces were handed in as a result of a campaign launched by the families of the victims of MH370.

“Some of families went on radio in Madagascar to plead with locals to hand in pieces of debris.” he said.

“Locals tell me there are many more pieces of debris washed up but it needs to Malaysia to offer rewards.”

Mr Gibson has been giving locals small rewards.

While the two extensive searches have not turned up the main body of wreckage, Mr Gibson believes that the main body of wreckage probably lies just outside the search area about 1800km due west of Perth.

That main body would include engines, undercarriage, wings and the bulk of the fuselage.

Malaysia has promised to resume the search but only if there is “credible” new evidence.

About brandsauthority

Check Also

Bill Shorten: Labor Party to bring in 4000 more refugees, boost UNHCR funding if elected

Up to 4000 more refugees will enter Australia annually under an elected Labor government after …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: