A frightening incident has unfolded in Bourke St in the heart of Melbourne.
Explosions and gunshots rang out after three members of the public were stabbed before police shot the knife-wielding attacker.
One of those victims sadly died at the scene.
Terror on Bourke Street
- At 4.30pm explosions were heard and a fire erupted from a ute in Bourke St, Melbourne, between Swanston and Russell Streets
- Police who were nearby were called to the scene
- Witnesses told police people had been stabbed
- A man wearing black robes wielding a knife was seen swinging at two Victoria Police officers
- One of the officers was forced to shoot the man
- The man remains under police guard in a critical condition in hospital
- Three people suffered stab wounds
- One of those victims has died at the scene
- Two other victims are in hospital
- Bourke St is in lockdown from Russell St to Swanston St
- The bomb response squad is checking the scene and the car fire is out
- Police say they are not looking for anyone else at this stage
- Anyone who saw what happened is being urged to attend Melbourne West police station to give a statement
- Videos and photos can be uploaded to Victoria Police Facebook page
- Terror sirens have been employed in the city declaring the incident over and urging witnesses to contact police
- The attacker later died in hospital
The street attack is Melbourne’s third in less than two years.
* BOURKE STREET JANUARY 20, 2017
A car is driven down the Bourke Street Mall, killing six people and injuring 27. James Gargasoulas, 28, is standing trial over the attack having pleaded not guilty to murder and reckless conduct.
* FLINDERS STREET DECEMBER 21, 2017
A car mows down pedestrians outside Flinders Street Station, knocking over 16 pedestrians including an elderly man who later died. Saeed Noori, 33, is ordered to stand trial on murder and attempted murder charges.
* BOURKE STREET 2018
A ute bursts into flames on Bourke Street. One man nearby is stabbed to death. A knife-wielding man is shot by police and taken to hospital, with two other people suffering injuries.