A Melbourne man says he is lucky to be alive after an aerosol can exploded in a campfire.
Brent Dixon suffered burns to 14 per cent of his body after a mate dropped a paint spray can into a campfire at a buck’s meet.
“(I was) engulfed by a fireball … in the hands, bit on the face, down the right side and to the arms and legs,” the 40-year-old said.
“It could have been a lot worse. I could have lost my face, lost my sight, lost a limb.”
Luckily for Mr Dixon, his mates quickly dunked him in a nearby river, saving his life.
Medical authorities say they are frustrated by an increase in injuries caused by accelerants being mixed with flames – especially around the Christmas/New Year period.
“Don’t mess around with things that explode,” Alfred Hospital burns unit spokesperson Heather Cleland said.
Mr Dixon is set to return home to his young family next week, but he’s determined to spread the safety message after his near-death ordeal.
“If we can deter this from happening to anyone else this weekend or the Christmas period ‘cos you don’t want to be in this situation.”