Home / World News / Man dubbed ‘Daesh landlord’ on trial over 2015 Paris terror attacks

Man dubbed ‘Daesh landlord’ on trial over 2015 Paris terror attacks

A man dubbed the ‘Daesh landlord’ has gone on trial accused of hiding two jihadists behind the deadly 2015 Paris terror attack.

Jawad Bendaoud lent an apartment to the suspected ringleader and an accomplice behind the co-ordinated assaults that left 130 people dead in November 2015.

The 31-year-old landlord, who is charged with harbouring Abdelhamid Abaaoud and Chakib Akrouh, hit the headlines after he gave a television interview as police raided the hideout, in which he claimed: “I didn’t know they were terrorists.”

He faces up to six years in prison if convicted.

Islamic State, also known as Daesh, claimed responsibility for the attacks on the night of 13 November 2015 as gunmen and suicide bombers targeted restaurants and bars in the French capital, the Bataclan concert hall and the Stade de France.

This courtroom sketch created at the palais de Justice court in Paris on January 24, 2018 shows Jawad Bendaoud in the dock, accused of harbouring two of the jihadists in the aftermath of the November 2015 Paris attacks. The first trial stemming from the November 2015 Paris terror attacks opened with suspect Jawad Bendaoud in the dock, accused of harbouring two of the jihadists in the aftermath of the carnage. / AFP PHOTO / Benoit PEYRUCQ (Photo credit should read BENOIT PEYRUCQ/AFP/Getty Images)
Image:
A courtroom sketch of Bendaoud in the dock

It was France’s deadliest extremist violence since the Second World War.

Belgian national Abaaoud was killed in the police raid on the flat, while his accomplice Akrouh blew himself up.

 Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the suspected ringleader of the 2015 Paris terror attacks
Image:
Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the suspected ringleader of the 2015 Paris terror attacks

Bendaoud is on trial alongside his friend Mohamed Soumah and Youssef Aitboulahcen, the brother of a woman who was also killed in the raid.

Bendaoud was nicknamed the “Daesh landlord” by French media following his TV interview, while his own lawyer Xavier Nogueras described him as “the one we laughed about, having cried so much” after the attacks.

He was previously sentenced to eight years in jail for killing a man in a fight over a mobile phone before he was released in 2013.

Armed French police stand guard as a van carrying Jawad Bendaoud, charged with harbouring jihadists during the November 2015 terror attacks, arrives at the courthouse of Paris on January 24, 2018. The first trial stemming from the November 2015 Paris terror attacks opens when Jawad Bendaoud appears in court, charged with harbouring two of the jihadists in the aftermath of the carnage. / AFP PHOTO / CHRISTOPHE SIMON (Photo credit should read CHRISTOPHE SIMON/AFP/Getty Images)
Image:
Armed police stand guard as a van carrying Jawad Bendaoud arrived at court

Hundreds of people injured in the 2015 Paris attacks and relatives of those killed have joined the legal action as civil parties in the case, or applied to be registered as plaintiffs.

But prosecutor Nicolas Le Bris rejected requests by the civil parties to characterise Bendaoud and Soumah as terrorists.

He told the court: “Are they terrorists? For the prosecutors’ office, the response is no.”

Bilal Mokono, who was seriously injured by a suicide bomber outside the Stade de France, attended court in Paris on the first day of Bendaoud’s trial.

Bley Bilal Mokono, who was injured during the Stade de France attack, cries as he talks to journalists before the start of the trial of Jawad Bendaoud
Image:
Bilal Mokono, who was injured in the Stade de France attack, cries outside the courtroom

“I don’t want to miss one second of these trials because I want to understand the story,” he said.

“It is important for me to be here for my son, but also for the victims who don’t have the strength or don’t have the will to be here but who are still expecting answers.”

There were fears Bendaoud would be unable to attend the trial after guards protesting over prison working conditions blocked the entrance of the Fresnes prison, south of Paris.

Police later managed to clear the main entry point to the prison, allowing the trial to get under way.

Salah Abdeslam, the only survivor among the 10 gunmen who carried out the killing spree, is due to appear in court in Belgium next month.

About brandsauthority

Check Also

Peaks triumph in final over thriller

Manypeaks have secured a thrilling two-wicket win off the second-last ball of their clash with …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: