Home / World News / Liverpool bt Man City, into FA Cup final

Liverpool bt Man City, into FA Cup final

Liverpool have kept their bid for an unprecedented quadruple on track with a 3-2 FA Cup semi-final win that also ended Manchester City’s hopes of a treble.

England’s top two teams served up another epic encounter but, having drawn 2-2 in the English Premier League just six days ago, Jurgen Klopp’s side deservedly came out on top at Wembley on Saturday.

It was not without a little help from City’s No.2 Zack Steffen, their designated cup goalkeeper, whose huge first half error contributed to the game getting away from them.

Man of the match Sadio Mane scored twice to add to Ibrahima Konate’s opener as they raced into a 3-0 half-time lead.

Goals from Jack Grealish, early in the second half, and Bernardo Silva, in added time, ensured Liverpool were never as comfortable as they wanted to be but the seven-time winners held on to book a 15th final appearance.

Both sides made seven changes from their midweek Champions League games.

A minute’s silence to commemorate the 33rd anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy, when 97 Liverpool fans were killed at an FA Cup semi-final, was brought to an abrupt and premature end when some City fans chose to sing through it and were met with a chorus of boos from Reds supporters.

City subsequently apologised but by the time they had issued a statement their team was already 2-0 down.

Klopp hailed Liverpool’s first-half performance as among the best of his Anfield reign.

“I am absolutely proud. It’s incredible, I think the first half was one of the best we ever played. We did all the right stuff, I loved every second of it,” he told BBC Sport.

“Second half started with a goal from Man City and then the game opens up. The quality of City is insane.

“It’s so difficult to win against them, but because we have my boys in the dressing room we have a chance.”

Mane said Liverpool would fight for the quadruple after reaching their first FA Cup final since 2012.

The Senegal striker told BBC Sport: “We’ll see. We will try to do our best. It’s a dream for sure and we’ll fight for it.”

Mane’s first goal in the 17th minute came thanks to a horror Steffen blunder.

John Stones’ backpass to Steffen looked simple enough but, unlike first-choice Ederson last week, whose coolness under pressure on his own goalline avoided a goal at Etihad Stadium, the United States international was far too ponderous.

His delay was so long it allowed Mane to close him down and put in a tackle which forced the ball over the line.

About brandsauthority

Check Also

AGL posts $1 billion loss and stokes fears of uncertainty from price caps

Energy giant AGL has suffered its biggest daily loss on the stock market in nearly …

%d bloggers like this: