LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Australia recorded no cases of community transmission on Wednesday, as the world notched up more than 68 million cases and 1.55 million lives lost.
* Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt hailed the publication of trial results for the AstraZeneca/Oxford University vaccine, which showed it to be generally safe, as great news for Australia.
* Queensland Education Minister Grace Grace isn’t ruling out mandatory coronavirus vaccinations for school students, teachers and staff.
* Tasmania recorded three coronavirus infections in hotel quarantine, breaking the island’s 120-day run without a new case.
* An under-resourced public health system and underestimation of staff-to-staff transmission impacted Tasmania’s response to a deadly coronavirus outbreak in the state’s northwest, according to an independent review of the cluster which killed 12 people.
* NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian brushed off concerns about the revelation there was another breach of quarantine in July when a man arriving from the US avoided hotel quarantine in Sydney before flying to Melbourne.
* NSW reported no new locally acquired cases, with authorities issuing a warning as testing halved overnight. Two cases were detected in returned overseas travellers.
* Six international arrivals in Melbourne showing COVID symptoms returned negative results, as Victoria clocked up 40 days without any new cases.
* A teenage returned traveller in Western Australian hotel quarantine tested positive.
* South Australia’s run without a COVID-19 case hit 11 days, with no new infections reported on Wednesday.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* There were six new COVID-19 cases recorded in Australia on Wednesday; three in Tasmania, two in NSW and one in WA. All are in hotel quarantine.
* The national death toll is 908: Victoria 820, NSW 55, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 6, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 68,226,000
* Deaths: at least 1,556,000
* Recovered: at least 43,956,000
Data current as of 1800 AEDT December 9, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre.