Brisbane could look to Karmichael Hunt for the answer after coach Kevin Walters accused them of being soft and lashed their performance in the 50-6 flogging from Manly.
Walters conceded that Friday’s thrashing at the hands of the Sea Eagles was the side’s worst performance this year, losing any signs of the progress made.
The Broncos coach also admitted all options were on the table for next week, when Hunt is available to play for the first time outside the squad’s top-30 roster.
The 34-year-old has not played in the NRL since way back in 2009, when he left the game to go to the AFL before switching across to rugby union.
But he made his return to the code in the Queensland Cup this year, before being called into Brisbane training earlier this month.
Hunt could play in the centres or potentially at five-eighth, particularly if Tyson Gamble is banned after being placed on report twice and sin-binned once.
“Part of the reason we brought (Hunt) into the group for his experience and knowledge,” Walters said.
“So we’ll look at that for sure.
“We’ll look at everything. We’ll consider all players on (Friday night’s) performance.
“They’re disappointed. We’ll have a look at the review.”
Not even Hunt in his prime as an NRL player could have saved the Broncos against Manly.
They earned just 40 per cent of the ball and missed 36 tackles as the Sea Eagles played the majority of the game on the Broncos’ line.
Ill-discipline was again an issue after it plagued their 2020 season, with four players put on report across six separate incidents.
New captain Jake Turpin played just 33 minutes before being replaced by Danny Levi, with Walters insistent that the decision was based solely on getting more minutes into Levi.
But it didn’t work, with Levi missing six tackles alone, while Dearden went one worse and had seven misses.
“We’ve made some good progress. But that is our worst performance since I have seen here,” Walters said.
“We were a mile away.
“We started soft and got softer as the game went on..
“It was a terrible night for Broncos people. I feel sorry for all our fans and sponsors.”