Former world champion Vasiliy Lomachenko is pleading with George Kambosos for another crack at the title following a 12-round pounding of Richard Commey in New York.
Regarded as the premier pound-for-pound fighter on the planet before losing to American Teofimo Lopez late last year, Lomachenko is desperate to regain his three belts.
Kambosos now has those WBA, WBO and IBF lightweight straps after prising them from Lopez at Madison Square Garden two weeks ago in one of the biggest upsets in Australian boxing history.
Kambosos conceded on his triumphant return to Sydney last Thursday that Lomachenko commanded respect but said he was leaning towards a “big-stadium” showdown with undefeated American Devin Haney in Australia in April or May.
Lomachenko fears Kambosos is running scared and called out the Australian following his brutal win over Commey, who copped a battering but somehow survived the distance despite being dropped in the seventh round.
“I saw his situation and it was very hard for him,” Lomachenko said of the gallant Ghanaian.
“That’s why I said ‘Hey, stop the fight.’
“He’s a true warrior. He has a warrior heart. So we continued and we showed the people 12 great rounds.”
Lomachenko, a dual Olympic gold medallist and former three-weight world champion, said he’d have no issue facing Kambosos in Australia.
“I need this chance. And if God gives me this chance, I’ll take it,” the Ukrainian said.
“I will go anywhere I need to go to fight him.”
Kambosos took the challenge on board, saying Lomachenko was in the mix with Haney and fellow American stars Gervonta Davis and Ryan Garcia.
“Great boxing display by Loma which puts him in the equation with Haney, Tank & Ryan, even after his LOSS against Teofimo,” the Sydney slugger tweeted.
“Respect to Commey, your a warrior and tough as nails. Looking forward to fighting one of these fellow warriors in 2022 down under. regards the EMPEROR.”