More than 8000 residents in the central German city of Goettingen have left their homes to let disposal experts defuse four suspected World War II bombs.
The evacuation was completed by late morning but the operation lasted the entire day.
The four suspected bombs were found to be 10-tonne devices with long-life fuses dropped by the US military.
The explosive ordinance disposal service successfully carried out a controlled detonation, the city announced on Sunday night.
It said closures would only be lifted after all buildings in the area were checked for damage, which could drag on until the early hours of Sunday.
The work had been delayed twice because people remained in the restricted area after the evacuation order.
Police escorted two of them out of the danger zone, which covers a radius of 1 kilometre.
With a few exceptions, the evacuation went according to plan, said Rainer Nolte, head of Goettingen police.
Authorities have set up evacuation centres for those who can’t stay with friends. About 260 people were staying there.
Coronavirus regulations were temporarily suspended for the special situation.
Goettingen’s central station, which is on a major north-south rail axis, was shut down and traffic diverted. The closures will remain in place while the work is ongoing.
According to the city, about 1,800 people have been working in shifts to organise the evacuation and work on defusing the bombs.
It is not uncommon for wartime ordnance to be discovered during construction work in Germany.
Deactivating the explosive devices has on occasion led to injuries and fatalities.
In June 2010, three members of a disposal team were killed and six people wounded when a World War II bomb exploded in Goettingen.