The son of WAFL legend Allistair Pickett is defending allegations he was an assailant in a violent fight outside a Perth bar that left one man unconscious and another with a broken jaw.
Alliston Pickett, 26, went on trial in the District Court this week accused of inflicting grievous bodily harm on Vinzi Carcione, 35, outside the Lost Society bar in the early hours of July 9, 2017.
Mr Pickett, who played 19 games for Subiaco between 2010 and 2014, made history when he and his dad — a two-time Sandover medallist who won four flags with the Lions — became the first father and son to play together at State-league level.
He is on trial with Luke McCarthy, who is also accused of seriously assaulting Mr Carcione in the seconds after a one-punch attack on the victim’s friend, Adrian Clark.
Opening the State case on Monday, prosecutor Jason Chu said the victims had been drinking inside the Hay Street bar when one of their group became embroiled in a verbal altercation with a woman — Sediqa Yezdery.
Mr Chu said Ms Yezdery had been insulted by something the man had said and wanted retribution, so texted Mr McCarthy to “come and bash the s… out of this a…hole please”.
It is alleged that when Mr McCarthy and Mr Pickett arrived at the bar about 2am, Ms Yezdery pointed the pair to the victims’ group — who were then standing on the street.
Mr Chu said Mr McCarthy punched Mr Clark — who had not been involved in the earlier altercation — and he fell unconscious to the ground.
He said Mr Carcione was then struck to the face — causing his jaw to break — but it was unclear who delivered the blow.
Mr Pickett’s lawyer, David McCallum, said Mr Pickett “did not hit anyone and he didn’t see anyone getting hit”. It was also “very much in dispute he had the common intention to assault anyone”, Mr McCallum said.