Smartraveller continues to warn tourists to exercise a high degree of caution in the Philippines.
Just because a visit to the country wouldn’t necessarily be a good idea, doesn’t mean you should miss out on the food. And you don’t even have to leave Perth.
The Standard bar in Northbridge is celebrating the spirit of Fringe World by opening a Filipino pop-up restaurant for one month.
Manila Nights by The Standard will run from January 17 to February 17 at the front of Old Shanghai on James Street.
The Standard’s executive chef, Chase Weber, says the concept pays tribute to his kitchen team — most of whom are from the Philippines — and is “a chance for the rest of us to experience the joys of Filipino cuisine”.
“If there’s one thing we’ve learnt from the Filipino community, it’s that they’re some of the most jovial, welcoming and giving people on the planet,” Weber says.
The Standard says head chef Rod Panganiban has been an integral part of Manila Nights’ menu, which includes dishes that can be eaten quickly by those heading to Fringe World shows.
“Slide in and grab a Crispy Cup (chicken skin, salt and vinegar chicharron and crackling), or a chopped lechon (pork belly) loaded golden mantou bun,” a spokesperson says.
“There’ll also be mains to eat while seated like, lechon liempo (pork belly), and grilled squid with ink-black jasmine rice. Top all the Filipino fun off with a Filipino dessert – fried banana with coconut caramel and bibingka (rice cake).”
Having never eaten Filipino food, I had to Google most of these ingredients. Apparently:
- Chicharron = pork crackling
- Lechon = spit-roasted suckling pig
- Mantou = steamed bun
If the food makes you decide to actually visit the Philippines, Flight Centre has a range of flight, accommodation and tour deals to make your visit more affordable.
The Philippines, which is made up of 7107 islands, is a fusion of Asian, European and American influences because of its geographical position and its past as a colony.
- Fly aboard Scoot from Perth to Manila (return) with prices starting from $532. Travel dates are between April 20 and June 15. For more information visit flightcentre.com.au/world-travel/philippines.
- Manila Nights by The Standard will be at Old Shanghai, 123 James Street in Northbridge from 5pm to 10pm on Wednesdays to Saturdays. thestandardperth.com.au
- Fringe World is on from January 18 to February 17. fringeworld.com.au
- Get more travel advice from Smart Traveller: smartraveller.gov.au