The family of a beloved mother who was killed in a horror crash caused by the brother of banned NRL star Bronson Xerri have hit out at his “paltry” sentence.
Troy Xerri, 30, could be released from jail as early as next years after he was sentenced in Sydney’s Downing Centre District Court on Friday.
He faced trial last year over the accident which claimed the life of Jo Duke in northwestern Sydney in November 2019.
Xerri lost control of his Toyota Hilux which jumped over the median strip, crossed onto the wrong side of Blaxland Road at Eastwood, colliding with two other vehicles.
His car collided with Ms Duke’s Mazda hatchback, killing the 63-year-old as well as injuring another woman who was travelling alone in another car, with his ute coming to rest on a utility pole.
Judge Leonie Flannery said Xerri was driving at least 80km/h – 20km/h above the speed limit – at the time of the crash.
Though it couldn’t be determined exactly what speed he was going.
He was also on conditional release for driving while suspended at the time of the horror crash.
Xerri was on Friday morning sentenced to spend three years and nine months in prison, with a two-year and four-month non-parole period.
With time served he could be released from prison as early as next November.
Outside court, Ms Duke’s husband Mick called for the review of sentencing laws relating to road deaths.
“For his heinous crimes, the remorseless killer has had a paltry sentence imposed,” he said.
“Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.
“Myself, our sons and many others are doomed to visit Jo in the cemetery forever. Whereas the killer will soon resume his life as if nothing happened.”
Edwina Roberts was taken to hospital after Xerri’s ute also smashed into her hatchback.
Michael Nader, the front seat passenger in Xerri’s ute, also spent a week in hospital with head injuries including a fractured nose and back pain
The force of the impact was so great that the tray of Xerri’s ute detached.
Xerri last year pleaded guilty to dangerous driving occasioning death and dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm related to Ms Duke’s killing and the injuries suffered by Mr Nader.
He was found not guilty to the more serious charges of aggravated dangerous driving occasioning death and aggravated dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm.
Those charges related to allegations that his car was travelling 45km/h above the speed limit at the time of impact, which he denied.
More to come.