From dust mites to mould and wi-fi emissions – experts are warning that many seemingly clean Perth homes are hiding dangerous toxins that could be making us sick.
Building biologist Deanne Hislop says Perth has “a huge mould issue”.
While there is mould you can see, Ms Hislop says there’s plenty you can’t see – and it’s making people sick.
She says regular exposure can be dangerous but there are measures you can take – dust mite covers on the bed, getting rid of soft toys and a good vacuum cleaner.
Ms Hislop also tests for high levels of electromagnetic interference, which is basically your electronic devices and wi-fi.
“We still don’t really know the conclusive evidence about how much it’s effecting us but it is something that is of a significant health concern that the World Health Organisation actually created a committee,” pharmacist turned holistic pharmacist Cara Little said.
After seeing so many people with unexplained illness, she decided to look at how chemicals affect the body.
“What I see with patients that come in (are) symptoms like nausea, fatigue, brain fog, headaches and migraines as well as exacerbation of asthma, eczema, allergies and some autoimmune diseases that can be exacerbated as well,” she said.
She said using bleach on mould doesn’t get rid of it it only masks it and can makes it worse.
One of the problems these days is that we are building more energy efficient homes but they are also more air-tight.
We aren’t home as much so the house stays shut up and the same stale stagnant air gets circulated for days and weeks at a time.
The solution is often easier than we think, according to Ms Little.
“The first thing you can do is take your shoes off and leave them at front door,” she said.
“The second thing is to swap out your chemical-based cleaning products for natural alternatives.
“The third thing which is my biggest thing and I recommend to do is open their windows for at least 30 minutes a day come rain, hail or shine.