England have been ordered to play their next home UEFA competition match behind closed doors as punishment for the disorder at July’s European Championship final at Wembley.
A further one-game ban on home supporters is suspended for a period of two years, European soccer governing body UEFA said on Monday.
The Football Association has also been fined 100,000 euros ($A157,000).
The Euro final between England and Italy on July 11 was marred by chaotic and ugly scenes before, during and after the showpiece event, with some ticket-less supporters forcing their way through security cordons and gaining entry to the stadium.
Tournament organisers UEFA opened disciplinary proceedings against the Football Association on August 3 and issued sanctions on Monday.
England’s next UEFA competition match will be in the Nations League next June.
The Metropolitan Police reported on July 14 that there had been 51 arrests connected to the final – 26 of those were while policing events in Wembley, with 25 following events in central London.
Overall 19 officers were injured.
Wembley security cordons were breached by ticket-less individuals, and disability access charity Level Playing Field said some of these individuals made their way into disabled viewing areas, creating a “frightening experience” for disabled supporters with legitimate tickets.
The FA commissioned an independent review to look into the disturbances.
“Although we are disappointed with the verdict, we acknowledge the outcome of this UEFA decision,” the FA said on Monday.
“We condemn the terrible behaviour of the individuals who caused disgraceful scenes in and around Wembley Stadium at the Euro 2020 final, and we deeply regret that some of them were able to enter the stadium.”
The FA was fined 30,000 euros ($A47,000) earlier in the tournament for crowd problems after a laser pointer was shone at Denmark goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel during England’s semi-final victory, also at Wembley.
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin played down fears that the disorder would affect a UK and Ireland bid to host the 2030 World Cup in an interview with The Times last month, and said he saw Wembley as a key venue for UEFA in hosting club competition finals in the future.