Novak Djokovic is still uncertain whether he will take part in the Australian Open but will soon make a decision, the world No.1 said after Serbia’s 2-1 defeat by Croatia in the Davis Cup semi-finals.
Djokovic, 34, has repeatedly declined to reveal whether he has been vaccinated against COVID-19, with his father Srdjan telling Serbia’s Prva television last week the world’s top-ranked player would probably pull out of the tournament.
“I know what you want to ask but I am not going to give you an answer tonight,” Djokovic told a virtual news conference after a question about when he might be expected on court again.
“Obviously, Australia is just around the corner so you’ll know very soon.
“I will use the next days to recover and forget about tennis. I am really tired from this season and this whole year. I need some family time now and we’ll see what the future holds,” he added.
Organisers of the season’s first grand slam at Melbourne Park have said all players have to be vaccinated to take part, which Srdjan Djokovic called ‘blackmail’.
Victoria sports minister Martin Pakula dismissed the criticism.
Should Djokovic miss the January 17-30 event he has won a record nine times, he will pass up an opportunity to top the men’s all-time list of major winners as he is tied on 20 grand slams each with peers Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer.