Home / World News / David Fuller admits to horrifying list of sick crimes, Azra Kemal named as victim

David Fuller admits to horrifying list of sick crimes, Azra Kemal named as victim

WARNING: Distressing content. Azra Kemal, pictured, was among almost 100 victims of a necrophiliac killer who sexually abused corpses.

WARNING: Distressing content

A UK man who sexually abused at least 99 corpses in hospital mortuaries – including children as young as nine – has admitted to murdering two women and raping them as they were dying.

David Fuller, 67, bludgeoned Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce to death in their Kent flats in 1987 in crimes known as the Bedsit Murders.

More than 20 years after the atrocities, he defiled scores of dead women and girls at mortuaries he had access to through his work as a technical supervisor at a hospital.

The youngest victim of his perversions was just nine, while the oldest was 100.

Fuller, of affluent market town Heathfield in East Sussex, initially pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

However, midway through his trial, he suddenly admitted to murdering the women. He will die behind bars.

As a result of his guilty pleas, it can also be reported that the defendant has already admitted to 51 other offences, including 44 charges relating to dead victims.

Charges include the sexual penetration of a corpse, possessing an extreme pornographic image involving sexual interference with a corpse and taking indecent images of children.

One charge alone relates to 25 deceased females.

Fuller’s depraved acts

He was only linked to the killings of Wendy and Caroline three decades after their deaths following a series of cold case reviews, Crimewatch appeals and finally a major breakthrough in DNA evidence.

And his offences against deceased women and girls came to light when disgusted cops found four hard drives packed with millions of indecent images and videos of “unimaginable depravity”.

Among them were his own acts of necrophilia, carried out in two mortuaries while he worked for Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust.

‘My daughter was violated’

Azra Kemal, 24, has been named as one of the twisted killer’s victims, and was raped by him after falling to her death in Kent.

He assaulted her dead body three times, and even researched her death online – reading tributes from her family and friends.

Azra’s mum, Nevres Kemal told Sky News:“I was told that my daughter had been violated… on three occasions in the mortuary.

“What does one think? How do you comprehend such a thing?

“I had spent two hours in the mortuary sleeping with her. And that gave me some sort of comfort.

“Little did I know that my daughter had been violated prior to that day and the evening of that day.

“Whilst I‘m stroking my daughter’s hair, sleeping on her hair, a man had… crawled all over her skin.

“We have swipe cards and cameras for a reason. How could they not have records that are automatically exposed to managerial people at the NHS trust?

“No one checked. It was so simple. He would actually abuse women while porters were bringing in bodies.”

Fuller still working at time of arrest

Fuller had access to all areas of Kent and Sussex Hospital in Tunbridge Wells, which closed in September 2011, and the replacement Tunbridge Wells Hospital in nearby Pembury.

After the horrific abuse, he used Facebook to track down the people he‘d defiled and learn about their lives during a spinechilling spree of crimes that went on from 2008 to November 2020.

He was still working for the hospital when he was arrested.

Prosecutors say the case is “unprecedented in legal history” and “the stuff of nightmares”.

Fuller changed his pleas four days into his trial.

As the murder charges were put to him again, he pulled down his mask and replied “guilty” to both.

The slayings were one of the UK’s longest unsolved double homicide cases.

Both women lived alone in ground floor flats less than a mile apart in Tunbridge Wells and worked in the town – although they didn‘t know each other.

Wendy was found dead in her bloodstained bed on the morning of June 23, 1987.

There were signs of blunt force trauma to her head, and she‘d been strangled. Detectives found evidence of a vile sexual assault carried out after her death.

Caroline, 20, went missing after being dropped off by a taxi outside her home on November 24 that year.

Neighbours allegedly heard “high-pitched screams of terror”.

Her naked body was later discovered in a water-filled dyke at St Mary-in-the-Marsh on December 15, 1987.

The court heard a man matching Fuller‘s description was seen prowling the Tunbridge Wells area at the time of the killings.

He lived with his then-wife just two miles away from the bedsits where both Caroline and Wendy lived.

On the night Wendy died, a man who looked like Fuller was seen peering at a woman through a window.

Caroline also reported a “prowler” outside her home just a month before she vanished, it was heard.

Following the guilty pleas, Wendy’s family spoke of their anguish in a moving statement.

“For 34 years we, as a family, the police and press, have been focusing on what actually happened to Wendy, wanting to know who did it and how she spent her last moments alive,” they said.

“We now know and sadly it is much worse than we could ever have imagined.

“Hopefully, we can now start to grieve and move past the pain, and start to remember her as the beautiful, kind, generous, caring, funny girl she was. She had a smile and a kind word for everyone.”

Tragically, Wendy‘s father died four years ago without ever knowing who murdered his daughter.

“It broke his heart,” the family said.

“He never found out before he died. Yet he has been with us every step of the way. We are deeply sad he isn’t with us to hear this news today.

“Although the guilty plea won’t change anything deep down as the pain and loss will always be there, it’s good knowing Fuller will not be in a position to hurt or cause any more pain.

“Not just for our family. But for Caroline‘s family and friends who’ve been on this same journey with us over all those years and all the other families this man’s affected.

“We feel deep sadness for all of you.”

Under the law, Fuller‘s abuse of corpses carries a maximum sentence of just two years in prison. But he is likely to face a whole-life prison term for the murders, meaning he will never be freed.

Prosecutor Duncan Aitkinson QC said specially-trained officers are helping the families of all victims through the “very difficult task” of preparing statements on the impact of his crimes.

Sentencing will take place at a later date. Fuller has been remanded in custody.

This article originally appeared in The Sun and was republished with permission

Originally published as ‘The stuff of nightmares’: UK bedsit murderer David Fuller admits to shocking crimes

About brandsauthority

Check Also

Federal Libs vow to learn from Vic loss

Federal Liberal MPs have pledged the party will learn lessons from the defeat at the …

%d bloggers like this: