The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder’s deputy mayor has hit out at the State Government over an alleged failure to inform the Kalgoorlie-Boulder community of a new coronavirus case in town for five days.
Health Minister Roger Cook confirmed today a third Main Roads worker in Kalgoorlie-Boulder had tested positive for the virus.
Both the latest case and one already recorded were close contacts of a man in his 70s who was, as of Thursday, in ICU and had already been self-isolating when they became symptomatic and were tested.
The latest case is understood to have been staying at the Miners Rest Motel.
“As you may already be aware we have had a COVID-19 case break through our Miners Rest walls,” staff are believed to have been told in an email on Wednesday morning.
“Unfortunately we have had to take more drastic measures to protect our guests, patrons and importantly our staff.
“Please can we approach this issue with a lot of care and understanding towards our companies, patrons and staff.”
Taking to a live broadcast on the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder’s Facebook page today, deputy mayor Lisa Malicky said it was not good enough to leave the community in the dark
“This case was confirmed on Sunday and the information is only getting out to the community now,” she said.
“It is not good enough that our community has to wait so darn long to get this information.
“It puts everybody at risk and leaves people feeling unsure.
“(The City is) 100 per cent working our butts off to make sure this is rectified because it is absolutely not good enough.”
Mr Cook said all identified close contacts were self-isolating.
“The two other cases have been self isolating, and remain in self isolation with mild symptoms,” he said.
A Department of Health spokeswoman would not confirm specifics about the new case, but said contact tracing was undertaken where cases were identified.