South Australia has recorded two new cases of coronavirus today, just one day before WA is set to open its border to the State for Christmas.
The new cases include a young man who returned a weak positive result after travelling into the State from NSW.
The man in his 20s was aboard a flight from Darwin to Sydney on December 18 that contained an infected Qantas staff member.
Health authorities say he was not seated near the staff member and his positive result was likely due to an old non-infectious case.
“It’s my understanding it is likely to be an old infection therefore nobody in South Australia is at any risk,” SA Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said on Thursday.
Professor Spurrier said the Health Department was working to confirm further details and she was awaiting verification of the result.
The man flew from Sydney to Wodonga, spending some time in rural Victoria, and crossed into SA at the town of Maitland on the Yorke Peninsula on Monday.
Prof Spurrier said the man, who is in quarantine as as precaution along with five close contacts, had been in Victoria at the height of their outbreak but never experienced COVID-19 symptoms.
Everyone who was aboard the Darwin-Sydney flight has been told to self-isolate and get tested.
Qantas confirmed on Wednesday the staff member who tested positive had worked on a repatriation flight from Paris that arrived in Darwin last week.
SA’s second case is a man in his 70s who is in a medi-hotel after returning to the State from Doha on December 18.