Homicide detectives were deployed to the scene of Cleo Smith’s disappearance the same day she was reported missing, police have revealed.
Det-Supt Rod Wilde on Friday gave a detailed timeline of what happened from the moment Cleo’s parents called triple-zero on Saturday October 16.
Supt Wilde, who is overseeing the large operation dedicated to finding the four-year-old, said police first arrived at the scene nearly 50 minutes after the call and did not cordon off the area until two hours later.
“Obviously once police arrived they needed to first establish what happened,” he said.
Supt Wilde said the first officers on the scene spoke to people at the camp site and searched their cars “with permission”.
He also revealed that friends of Cleo’s parents, who were due to join the family on their camping trip later that weekend, had also arrived shortly after to help look for the missing girl.
When asked about the trolls that had been targeting Cleo’s parents online, Supt Wilde described the behaviour as “terrible” and reiterated that police had no suspects at this stage.
“(Cleo’s parents) have been very helpful,” he said.
“They’re holding up but I just ask any members of the public not to post anything online.”
The veteran detective of nearly 40 years revealed Thursday that police had received more than 200 reported sightings of Cleo across the country since she vanished.
Despite the staggering amount of tip-offs, none had turned out to be the missing four-year-old girl, after thorough investigations by detectives.
“Unfortunately all of those have proved unfruitful,” he said.
“That’s been national as well, other policing jurisdictions have helped us and followed those leads through for us, so we’re very grateful for that.”
Supt Wilde and Assistant Commissioner Brad Royce are set to leave Carnarvon later today, after touching down at the country town on Thursday morning.