Assemblyman Raul Bocanegra announced Monday he will resign “immediately,” one week after multiple women alleged he sexually harassed them.
Hours before The Times published a report last week in which six women accused him of making unwanted sexual advances, Bocanegra (D-Pacoima) announced he would resign on Sept. 1, 2018.
In a statement Monday, he said he decided to accelerate his resignation, which he said was his “original intention.”
“By doing so I hope the community will have a new representative sooner rather than later. Furthermore, it is my hope that in taking this action we can help clear the path so that women and men who have been truly victims of sexual assault and workplace harassment can step forward and get justice for any crimes committed against them. While I am not guilty of any such crimes, I am admittedly not perfect,” Bocanegra said in the statement.
He continued: “I sincerely hope that my decision to resign immediately does not embolden those who are using this serious problem in our society to advance their own personal political gain, rather it is my hope that this action can instead help to widen the doors for victims of sexual assault and workplace harassment to find justice and solace.”
He submitted a resignation letter, “effective immediately,” to Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon (D-Paramount).
His announcement comes the day before the Assembly will hold a public hearing on how to prevent harassment, discrimination and retaliation in the Capitol.
This post was updated to include a reference to an upcoming Assembly hearing on harassment.
It was originally published at 9:15 a.m.