A family of nine has been left homeless after a fire ripped through their uninsured Bull Creek home.
But they say, they’re lucky to be alive.
Three generations of the family lived in the home. When Kristy Judge fell on hard times, her father, 80-year-old Alan Judge opened his home to his daughter and five of his grandchildren.
Mr Judge, who has dementia, thought the house was insured, but recently had forgotten payments as his condition worsened and didn’t realise his cover had lapsed.
Last Friday, decades of memories were destroyed along with the house, in which they celebrated Ms Judge’s two-year-old son’s birthday just days before.
“Everybody got out, that’s the main thing. We only lost things, not people,” Ms Judge said.
The family was asleep when the fire, which started in the backyard took hold. Ms Judge said she was woken up by the sounds of cracking, and later found out was the roof on fire.
She grabbed her five children, but her father wouldn’t leave the house.
“He was sticking his feet to the ground, he didn’t want move. We physically pushed him out the house,” she said.
Mr Judge said he’s trying to figure out what to do now.
“Got to find some money from somewhere I guess. Possibly rebuild or I don’t know. Sell the block. I don’t know what I’m doing,” he said.
Even though the family is now homeless, but the community has rallied and set up a fundraising page for the Judges.