Argentinian authorities have abandoned the rescue operation for the crew of a submarine that disappeared two weeks ago.
The ARA San Juan went missing on 15 November, while on patrol in the South Atlantic with 44 crew on board.
Navy spokesman Enrique Balbi said on Thursday night that the rescue mission had “extended for more than twice what is estimated for a rescue”.
“More than double the number of days have passed where it would have been possible to rescue the crew.
“Despite the magnitude of our search, it has not been possible to find the submarine.”
It was reported soon after its disappearance that the submarine would only have had about seven days of oxygen supply.
This could have been replenished if the submarine had been able to surface but there was no evidence it had.
The search operation for the submarine will continue.
More than a dozen countries, including the UK, have been involved in the search.
The German-built ARA San Juan was commissioned in 1985 and was most recently refitted in 2014.
Some relatives of the crew have claimed the navy put their loved ones at risk in a vessel that is more than 30 years old.
The navy has previously said that an explosion was detected near the same time and place that the submarine disappeared.
This could have been caused by a “concentration of hydrogen” triggered by a battery problem earlier reported by the sub’s captain.