Public Anzac Day events will be held in Queensland this year, after being cancelled in 2020 because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says dawn services, marches and public commemorations will return on April 25.
“This year, we will be returning to normal,” she told reporters.
“This means a lot to everyone across our state and I think is a great sign of respect.
“Let’s all turned out in full force to show our appreciation to the men and women who served our country.”
Last year, public Anzac Day events were cancelled across the state due to the risk of spreading COVID-19.
Instead, thousands of Queenslanders marked the day by standing in their driveways at dawn and other private commemorations.
RSL Queensland president Tony Ferris said it would be heart-warming news for veterans and their families.
“The fact that we can now get back to our grassroots with our families, and commemorate those that have gone before, it’s just going to be one of the great things for Queensland,” he said.
RSL South Eastern District president Colonel Kerry Gallagher (Ret’d) AM said the return of public events was more important for veterans than the community.
He said it was important mentally and emotionally for their service to be validated and for them to connect with their fellow veterans.
“Meeting with mates is vitally important not only from, I suppose, a traditional point of view, but for many of them, who perhaps are not travelling so well,” Col Gallagher said.
Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said Anzac Day could go ahead because there were no active cases in the community in Queensland.
She also said the mostly outdoor events were perfect for reducing the risk of COVID-19.
Dr Young said even the indoor functions can be managed with COVID-safe plans and contact tracing checking in.
“I commend the RSL, they have just done some of the best work in Australia in terms of managing their RSL clubs,” she added.