Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian terrorist who killed 77 people in gun and bomb attacks in 2011, was denied parole on Tuesday by a Norwegian court that said he “appeared devoid of empathy and compassion for the victims of the terror.”
Mr. Breivik, 42, who has served 10 years of a 21-year sentence for the attacks, showed no signs that his extremist views had waned during his years of incarceration. When the parole hearing began on Jan. 18, he entered the courtroom and made a Nazi-style salute. He also carried and wore signs emblazoned with racist messages, including one that read “Stop your genocide against our white nations.”
Speaking to the judge, Mr. Breivik demanded that he be treated as a prisoner of war.
Judge Dag Bjorvik oversaw the parole hearing, which lasted for two weeks and was held at Skien prison for security reasons.
Mr. Breivik’s lawyer, Oystein Storrvik, said on Tuesday that they would appeal the verdict, after expressing pessimism at the start of the hearing. “No Norwegian lawyer wants a case to begin with a Hitler salute,” he said in an interview with The Times last month. He said he was not particularly concerned with Mr. Breivik winning his parole, adding that his long-term strategy was to “improve the conditions under which he is sitting” in prison.
On July 22, 2011, Mr. Breivik detonated a fertilizer bomb in downtown Oslo, killing eight people. He then went on a shooting rampage at a summer camp on the island of Utoya, killing 69 people, most of them teenagers. The camp was organized by the youth arm of the country’s center-left Labor Party.
The judgment said Mr. Breivik “verbally expressed grief over those affected — but at the same time, he defended and possibly legitimized his actions by saying that most of those affected on Utoya were not children, but people with ‘leadership positions.’ This despite the fact that he must know that among those killed were children as young as 14 years old.”
At the start of the parole hearing, Hulda Karlsdottir, the lead prosecutor, said that Mr. Breivik should remain in prison and that he would “remain dangerous after serving his sentence.”
She added: “Both the survivors and relatives alike are left with bottomless grief, and the atrocities committed are unparalleled in Norwegian history.”
Mr. Breivik, who legally changed his name to Fjotolf Hansen in 2017, said he had carried out the attack as part of a violent campaign against what he characterized as a Muslim invasion of Europe, which he said was contributing to the country’s “cultural suicide.”
Mr. Breivik was convicted on terrorism and murder charges in 2012 and sentenced to 21 years in prison, the maximum under Norwegian law. The sentence can be extended indefinitely if he is deemed a continued threat to society.
Mr. Breivik last appeared before Norwegian and European courts in 2016 to argue that his long-term solitary confinement amounted to torture. He is being held in a three-room suite that includes a treadmill, a refrigerator, a television with a DVD player and a Sony PlayStation. He has also threatened to go on a hunger strike.
Lisbeth Kristine Royneland, a spokeswoman for the families of victims and survivors of the attacks, said the decision was “as expected,” and only confirmed what they had heard in previous rounds in court: “The terrorist is very dangerous and must not be released.”
The judgment Tuesday said that Mr. Breivik posed the same risk to society today that he did when he was first sentenced.
“In the court’s view, it cannot be assumed that the accused comes across as nonviolent,” the ruling said. “His verbal assurances and his words of honor are of little value, even if meant sincerely in the moment they are spoken.”
Ms. Royneland, whose daughter Synne Royneland was killed during the attack on Utoya, said that with appeals and Mr. Breivik’s attention-seeking stunts, “It feels like he is poking at a wound that is never allowed to heal.”