The royal commission investigating Australia’s aged care system has heard of the need for a national database of carers to prevent ongoing abuse.
The commission will continue its public hearings in Adelaide on Tuesday with evidence to come from welfare and advocacy groups including the Older Persons Advocacy Network.
In evidence on Monday, the inquiry was told of the need for a database of aged care employees to prevent those guilty of abuse from simply moving between facilities or between states.
Clive Spriggs, whose father Bob died in 2016 after being abused and over-medicated in Adelaide’s Oakden nursing home, said nobody had been held accountable for what happened.
“Staff and management at Oakden may have lost their jobs when it closed, but where are they now?” Mr Spriggs said.
“Are they in another state, are they going to be repeating what they did to someone else?
“There needs to be a mark on their name in the system.”
It was the shocking treatment of dementia patients at Oakden which partly sparked the royal commission, which will take evidence from advocacy and industry groups, medical professionals and people receiving both institutional and home care.
Hearings will continue in Adelaide on Wednesday and then again next week.
The commission will also take evidence at further hearings planned for interstate capitals and in regional centres.
It has already received 800 public submissions and responses from about 900 of Australia’s 2000 approved aged care providers.